Tuesday 6 November 2007

Tutorial - What is art??

To me art is ‘in the eye of the beholder’ as they say, as I believe that art is a very personal thing and that there is no wrong or right in what art is only differences of opinion. Just because someone else does not like something does not automatically make it not a piece of art. Art to me is based on how it makes you feel and the personal experiences it brings out from you as well as obviously being aesthetically pleasing. I tend to like more pieces that are recognised as art universally although this does not mean I discount other less known pieces or unconventional works of art.

When asked to think of what I do not consider art I came up with two examples. Firstly I thought of things such as book covers which I know many will be offended by, although I am not disregarding them as art as to an extent they are but when I think of them I think of them more as a design rather than an actual piece of art.
The second example I came up with was Embankment, by Rachel Whiteread, at Tate Modern until 2 April 2006, I found the sculpture had no sense of purpose and was bland and I did not see how aligning bricks in a certain way was consider art, perhaps its just me but it most definitely didn’t appeal.

No comments: