Wednesday 7 November 2007

Pixilation Evaluation

I am pretty happy with the final pixilation as I managed to learn the basics of the software and achieve something worth while. As I am not as software trained as others I was pleased with the editing I achieved. I decided to keep it simple and enhance it rather than completely change it. The first section I looked at was the chair section; I decided to draw the viewer’s eyes to the chairs moving more directly by changing the colour. I think this worked well as it drew attention to it and highlighted the movement that was occurring which when the chairs were there unusual colour was not as obvious. I felt this needed to be changed since the chairs movement was the key element in this section of the pixilation as the narrative is based on the fact that it starts and ends looking at a chair so they were also highlighted for this reason.

The next section was the lift section and this had to firstly be edited to make each of the lifts more similar in colour. Again I brightened the pictures to give a brighter effect and add more colour and vibrancy to the dull lift. The change to first person in this scene works well as it makes the viewer feel like they are part of the pixilation which I really like as it is the narrative of this persons life journey so you feel you are making it from their perspective. I also like the use of the zoom on the eye and feel it works well as a location change strategy. The hallway and stair sections used the same edits as the chair scene to help keep it consistent and brightening the colours for a greater effect.

On the outside scenes I added a blur effect to help reflect the movement that was taking place I think this particularly worked well on the circle section and the spinning section where the movement was much more rapid. I chose to do this to represent confusion in the life of the person we were following, and the flashing of scenes at speed works really well to create this. The flower is highlighted as it is a bright colour against a faded background and playing this in reverse worked out well and again added to the confusion the person was feeling at this point of their lifes journey.

I chose to repeat the eye zoom to change location back to inside and also kept the edits on the lift the same as before as I felt it was best to keep it consistent. I chose to finish on the shot of the chair alone in the lift as I wanted it to be linked back to the beginning, showing the viewer that whatever journey you go on in life and whoever you meet you always end up back in the same place as you started. Due to the abstract nature of the piece i chose to add the words 'lifes journey..' at the beginning and 'whoever you meet and whereever you go you always end up back in the same place as you started...' to help the subtle narrative more clear to the viewer.

The audio track fits well as it is upbeat and it keeps the movement of the piece in a quick pace. The beats also correspond well with the movement highlighting them, for example the movement of the chairs or the closing of the lift doors. The music changes at the circle point to being much softer which works well as it reflects the flower as flowers would not be linked to harsh music as they are gentle in themselves, however the music does change back to being more upbeat at the end which also represents well the narrative of always ending up back where you started.

No comments: