Friday 8 February 2008

There #5 - Ventrella Cafe

Today I first took a trip to sirocco, as I hadn’t ventured there yet. However I was disappointed as it seemed deserted and any interesting activities I could find to do would involve payment and as yet I am happy to say I have not be taken over enough by the virtual realm to pay out real money to experience it all! There was however a club where if you came at certain times you could get involved with a quest for the day but whilst visiting there were none taking place :( Although I felt this was a good activity as it helped allow you to explore the world and meet new people at the same time. However I decided to leave and try a different world in hope of finding a few more people around.

So I decided to venture to Ventrella Café where I found a series of get away homes that you could enter. However with a lack of people around again I felt the only activities available within them were to sit in numerous places alone. Within one of the rooms I found a piano but was disappointed to find that the only interaction available was to sit at it rather than actually use it. There was however a speaker playing music making it seem more homely as it didn’t feel as deadly silent as some of the other worlds.

I found what appeared to be a bed within another room and sat on it to see if any other gestures etc became available but to my disappointment there were no options such as sleep or even to lie down, this where I feel there lacks a realistic feel and is behind more advanced realms such as second life.

I realised I had never tried to swim in the water that was in each of the worlds and so thought I would give it a go but the avatar simply continued to walk when in the water which again was an area for improvement. However the water did have a realistic feel with the help of sound effects of waves and the fact that the water was animated to move in the fashion of a wave moving into the tide.

Along the sea front I found many homes and thought I would take a look around one to see if anyone was actually permanently living within them but as I had expected they did not seem to be occupied. I thought I would try out a dance floor whilst in the house as this is one successful item which does cause a change in interaction and gives more actions which are specific to the item in this case dance moves.

Next I tried out a hot tub to see if anything happened when I entered it or if actions became available. However nothing changed, I think my expectations were influenced by Sims were when you enter a hot tub the water bubbles and actions such as splash become available.

I then followed a ladder up to the top level but was disappointed in the level of graphics and movement when the avatar climbed it. It kind of jumped up rather than stepped and did not follow the ladder and one started you had limited control over the avatars movement.

So all in all after today’s visit I feel that more interaction is needed. Oh and I have also come aware that after using there during the day for the first time that there are time periods where usage is greater and this tends to be in the evenings when people seem to be in all worlds. Compared to today where I hardly saw anyone nearby at all.

No comments: