Monday 3 December 2007

Object meaning and picture

Value to me

I chose to picture my point shoes as they have a very high value to me due to the fact I have been dancing since I was three and it has therefore played a huge part in my life. They have a value to me as since I was four years old all I ever wanted was to own a pair of Pointe shoes so that I could be a ‘real’ ballerina so finally getting some was a huge achievement. They also allow me when I am dancing in them to get away from the real world and loose myself for a bit, a brief moment I really do treasure.

Function

The function of the Pointe shoe itself is to aid the dancer and allow them to stand on the tip of the toe and perform the steps needed. It must provide both support and comfort whilst elongating the foot and the curve of the under part of the foot making it more pleasing to the eye.

Aesthetics

The fact that the shoe is made from silk gives it a delicate look and the light reflects from the silk highlighting the curved edges. Dark patches and tattered ends although perhaps not pleasing to the eye however give the feeling of use, which is pleasing in itself. The long flowing ribbons give the feel of freedom representing the movement of dance and the fact that they too are silk gives a feeling of consistency.

How the Object Expands knowledge, the environment and how it entertains

The Pointe shoe expands the knowledge of the dancer as it allows them to progress further within grades learning new steps and acquiring new skills. They affect the environment is affected by the Pointe shoe as it allows the dancer to move within it and around it smoothly and delicately in a way not possible without them. Entertainment comes from someone using them to perform a dance or from being the one using them and dancing in them yourself.

Evaluation of the picture taken and editing

I chose to use a mirror within the picture as I use a mirror to see the shoe and its beauty through my eyes. The greyscale background helps to darken everything except for the shoe helping to draw attention to them. The higher contrast darkened the background further and the use of the cutout effect highlights the creases in the material and the twists in the ribbon. I left the ribbon flowing loosely around the show as it represents the freedom of dance.

No comments: