Wednesday 6 February 2008

There #4 - Welcome Party!

Today I was talking with a greeter who actually works within the virtual world as a part time job. I found it interesting that someone could enjoy being part of a virtual world enough to work within it as I myself have still not been drawn in to this obsessive extent. She has been working there for two years now and when I asked why she chose this career move she said she had ‘always been a computer nerd’ which funnily enough I completely understood, and straight away she had a certain identity within my head making it clear why this would be one of her particular interests. Having the greeters is helpful as it gives you help first person and you can explain your problem to them in more abstract terms rather then when using a built in help file where you have to be specific. And in return they can explain step by step and even show you if possible within the world.

Once she found out I was pretty new to there she invited me to a welcome party which I decided I would attend to add to my experience within the virtual world. I know what I would expect at a party in the real world but how would a virtual one live up to reality?

All in all it was basically the same as a party in reality with groups chatting dancing and rather bizarrely a few pet dogs to play with; however which turned out quite entertaining. First I sat and chatted with a group of people and made a few more buddies. Many of them had been part of there.com for a while which can feel quite intimidating as the ‘newbie’ however welcoming everyone is which I’m glad to say most people you meet are. One of the other avatars commented on how realistic the whole experience felt and I have to agree when within a conversation you can get lost within it and with many people inputting as within a real conversation I have to say it does feel pretty realistic. The relationships you build with people also feel real as if you consider them a ‘buddy’ you are giving them a degree of trust.

After since hearing the dogs barking I eventually found them and thought I would see how realistic they were. Which they were surprisingly life like, just like any other puppy having a mind of there own and being playful and interacting when called by you to be ‘pet’. The greeter at the party also informed me they liked to escape which I found amusing and felt added to making the situation more realistic. You could kick a big ball for them although interaction with this was limited as you were unable to pick it up only kick it around which I felt let this interactivity down as in the real world this limitation wouldn’t occur.


Next I thought id try my hand at virtual dancing, which I also found enjoyable. Once you had picked your spot new ‘actions’ became available which were dance moves. The fact you were given choices was more realistic as you could create routines to the music. Once others noticed I was braving the dance floor they joined me which is similar to how things are in a club as everyone follows suit, and two guys decided to have a dance off which is typical in both reality and virtual clubs. I would like to attend another party to try and further interaction and dance with someone to feel how realistic the portrayal of this would be and if feelings come with it as they would in reality.

The music was very realistic since it was from a radio with actual radio stations being played which I liked as it brought a part of the real world into the virtual. It also provided a high level of interactivity as you could chose the radio station you wanted if you did not like the song that was playing.

No comments: